Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mason finally gets a sibling!

Since my son could frame a complete sentence he has been asking for a sibling, mostly for a brother until in a state of frustration he even claimed a sister would be fine. I never thought I'd have another child for various reasons the main one being that I had not been in a relationship for years and had no desire to have one. For most of my life I've been accused of being, "Too damn independent." I thought my son was perfect and having another child would be a disappointment because it would be a lesser model. I could think up a million reasons not to have anymore kids and I did. I took it for granted that I could have a baby any time I wanted to and I had plenty of time. I wanted a girl but I didn't want the drama and I wanted a boy because they are easier by all accounts. I'm a type A personality, I wanted everything to be perfect before I had another child. We all know nothing is perfect and striving for perfection is exhausting!

Well, I couldn't and I didn't have a baby any time I wanted. Now I am what doctors call "Of Advanced Maternal Age" yet people mistake me for being 20 years younger on a daily basis. Where did the time go? I have so much to do and so much to see and learn. I read that people who have kids after age 40 live to be 100 more often than those who have kids in their 20's. Nearly everyone I know had kids by age 22 and has been married previous to that if they are still married. I've always been out of sync with my peer group. I'm a maverick.

Flash forward, these kids are rich in personality. The new one is feisty, she lets us know EXACTLY what she doesn't like. Mason was calm and quiet, she's a firecracker. From the moment she was born she was crying and waving her arms over her head and alert. Most newborns stare and drool. This baby was holding her head up in the hospital, trying to stand up when we held her and mimicking our words. Everyone was surprised but me. This child had nurses propping her up to sleep in the nursery. Even the doctor stopped during surgery to tell me she was a beautiful baby! This infant, this tiny person is already bending adults to her will and having a profound effect on everyone who comes within her realm. It's going to be a bumpy ride. My babies are beautiful AND smart.

Mason loves his sister and is a great big brother. I knew he would be. One day in the doctor's office he spent over an hour watching a newborn and Mother without peeling his eyes away once. He was fascinated and scared and excited all at once. He had a million questions. It was at that moment he realized it was for real. We all tried not to get too excited due to a previous miscarriage but we all wanted her to arrive happy and healthy. Now we all want her to stop crying and it's a team effort to soothe her majesty.


My babies on Twitpic

    follow me on Twitter
      follow me on Twitter
      Movie Madness

      1 comment:

      TxTodd said...

      Thanks for sharing, I'm sure she'll be a lot of fun to raise. Sounds like you've done a good job with the first one too.

      Popular Posts